Thursday, April 14, 2011

Gray Theme no.1

I remember the day I wrote this. I had just arrived home after a 5 mile white knuckle drive down an ice sheet during the morning commute. The hill on State was particularly terrifying but that's winter. I hate it. I hate the gray. I hate the snow. I really hate the ice... All of this was running through my head when I sat down at my computer and discovered the annual Electronoel Contest at Acid Planet was closing and I hadn't submitted an entry.

Electronoel is a December institution at Acid Planet. Every year right before Christmas you get 8,000 yahoos uploading their remix of Carol of the Bells (the Christmas carol equivalent of Barbers Adagio) for fabulous prizes. Of course there are a few people who come up with original Christmas themed music that can be surprisingly good, I remember a couple years ago there was a bit with a Tuba that impressed me...

The rules actually state that the song should be winter-themed. At least this year they did. Nothing about Xmas or the Holidays, most likely political correctness but I took the suggestion literally anyway.

I wasn't planning to enter this contest but since winter is dumb and so are techno mixes of overplayed Christmas crap I sat down and composed a little piece that was as contrary to everything that would be entered in the contest as I could imagine and still manage to contain some of how winter makes me feel.

This was my original composition, not electronic, not Christmas, and certainly not something even I expected. Despite the motivations, I am more proud of this little ditty than anything else I've written.

Also, anyone who knows my Pa will hear his influence all over it. Probably why this is one of the things I've done that he likes the most.






 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This does remind of your father's work. Other than the first 6 seconds, which almost sounded like it was going "Close Encounters"; the rest of it has its own style of movement. Like your father's work, the progression doesn't take you where we've been programed to go thanks to John Williams, but instead forces you to pay attention and listen.

    ReplyDelete