Sunday, April 10, 2011

From The Vault vol.1

Death Before Ack!
2007 WormFood Collection

DBA! is a track I wrote as the first part of "The Dark Triptych" back in the mid-aughts in the days when I didn't know how much I didn't know about electronic music.

Despite the inevitability of death, the moment it actually comes is generally a complete surprise. This song is supposed to embody the cruelty of that moment, how few are even granted those cinematic last words. Most of us probably won't even manage an "Ack!" so to speak. This song is full of unspoken dreams and barely formed whispers, ideas fading before they get a chance to stretch their legs... all haunted by the ghost of melody that goes mostly unrealized... Hey, I'm not saying I executed it all that well only that those were the thoughts in my head as I worked it all out with a heavy electronic bass and thumping kick.

Even as I write this, I consider that if I made a track today about all those things it would bare no resemblance to what you hear in this classic track from the RM-T vault. But that goes without saying.

-J

Death before Ack! by Remedial M-Theory

No comments:

Post a Comment